Sunday, February 15, 2009

You or me?

So this semester I'm learning with the super cool Traci Brimhall. Our assignment this week was to assume a persona, write in a literary or historical voice that is not our own. I'm not sure I succeeded with that, but I kind of like how this turned out. At least it was fun writing.

I'm trying to use form more, and I'm disappointed as my lack of savviness in conquering blogger's tyrannical formatting.
*
*
*
Disney's Insemination of Grimm


Doc says, y-y-y-you mean old s-s-s-son of a bitch,
like achrondroplasia hasn't fucked with his plans
and I'm the only one with a 4'9
problem. I look in the soot-covered mirror in the hallway
and feel God laughing at the dirty dwarf who was made
not in His image, a recreational-sex side-project, a dare
from P.T. Barnum He just couldn't refuse.

He waits

behind

that mirror,

wanting me to ask the question one-time small-town beauty queens and
imported Manhattan models binge and purge for.

He sent her, like an apparition, out of the looking-glass,
her 44" stocking-covered legs, her baggage and the
LPA brochure.

Won't you join? (I am without a home.)

Her smile sweet like the sex I've never had because
I've slept 37 years lying next to a brother, next to a brother, next to a brother, next to a brother, next to
a brother, next to a brother after days standing
shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder-to-shoulder mining
diamonds tall women gleefully accept from
tall men on days they decide
filing joint taxes is just more economical.

Won’t you join? (I need a place.)

Her eyes soft like she’d drag a chair from the
kitchen for me to stand on so I might caress
her gala-apple cheek with my coal-pellet fingers.

Won’t you join? (I will do anything.)

Beauty, probably used to selling by the inch, saving
for college so she can study Chem 101 and make a
dead step-mother look like a dead step-mother.
Doc pushes me aside before I can slam the door in her
grossly unblemished face, before I can point out with my
fists and furrowed brow that, she must be too dumb to see:
my chromosomes already signed that petition in 1971.
*
*
*

No comments: